Trust Sheets/Central Air Heating, Cooling and Plumbing, the locally owned and operated HVAC and plumbing contractor of choice
Welcome to Sheets/Central Air, Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing, your trusted HVAC and plumbing experts in Fort Wayne, IN. We understand that a well-maintained furnace is crucial for keeping your home warm and comfortable during the colder months. As furnace and HVAC experts, we’ve taken it upon ourselves to address the most common questions related to furnace maintenance, including:
- What maintenance should be done
- How often you should service your furnace
- How to identify signs that your furnace needs attention
- Why furnace maintenance matters
- DIY furnace maintenance
What Maintenance Should I Do on My Furnace?
Regular maintenance is essential for keeping your furnace running efficiently and extending its lifespan. Here are some maintenance tasks you can perform:
- Change the Air Filter: One of the simplest yet most crucial tasks is to replace your furnace’s air filter. A dirty or clogged filter can restrict airflow and reduce efficiency. Check and replace the filter every 1-3 months, depending on usage.
- Inspect the Thermostat: Ensure your thermostat is working correctly, and the settings are accurate. You can consider upgrading to a programmable or smart thermostat for enhanced control and energy savings.
- Clean the Blower Motor: Dust and debris can accumulate on the blower motor, affecting its performance. Gently clean it and lubricate the moving parts as needed.
- Check for Leaks: Inspect the furnace for gas or carbon monoxide leaks. If you suspect a leak, immediately turn off the furnace and contact a professional.
Inspect the Flue and Ventilation: Ensure the flue and ventilation system are clear and free from obstructions to allow proper airflow.
How Often Should a Furnace Be Cleaned and Serviced?
Regular professional servicing is recommended at least once a year, ideally before the heating season. However, the frequency of service may vary depending on several factors:
- Usage: If your furnace runs constantly throughout the colder months, it may benefit from more frequent servicing. Homes with occasional furnace use may require service less often.
- Age of the Furnace: Older furnaces may require more frequent maintenance to ensure they continue to operate efficiently and safely.
- Type of Fuel: The type of fuel your furnace uses can also impact how often it needs servicing. Gas and oil furnaces may need more frequent maintenance compared to electric models.
- Manufacturer Recommendations: Always consult your furnace’s manufacturer guidelines for specific maintenance recommendations. Following these guidelines can help prolong your furnace’s lifespan.
Signs of Trouble: If you notice any unusual noises, odors, or a decrease in performance, it’s essential to schedule service immediately, regardless of the time of year.
How Do I Know If My Furnace Needs Maintenance?
Identifying when your furnace requires maintenance is essential to prevent issues from escalating. Look out for the following signs:
- Increased Energy Bills: If you haven’t changed any of your usage habits, a significant increase in your energy bills is a sure sign that your furnace is not working efficiently. working less efficiently. Regular maintenance can help improve energy efficiency and help you identify problems before they cause a total breakdown.
- Uneven Heating: Cold spots or inconsistent heating throughout your home can be a sign of a furnace issue that needs attention. Maintenance can address this problem and ensure even heating.
- Strange Noises: Unusual sounds such as banging, rattling, squeaking, or popping could signal a problem with your furnace’s components. Addressing these noises promptly can prevent further damage.
- Frequent Cycling: Cycling refers to your furnace frequently turning off and on without any external intervention. Regular maintenance can help identify and address this issue so your furnace functions with ease.
- Visible Wear and Tear: Inspect your furnace for visible wear, rust, or corrosion. These signs can indicate that maintenance or repairs are necessary to prevent further damage.
- Poor Air Quality: If you or your family members experience worsened indoor air quality, such as increased allergies or respiratory issues, your furnace’s air filtration system may require maintenance or replacement.
By being proactive and addressing these signs promptly, you can avoid costly repairs and ensure your furnace continues to operate safely and efficiently. Sheets/Central Air, Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing/Central Air, Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing is here to provide expert furnace maintenance services in Fort Wayne, IN, and help you maintain a warm and comfortable home.
Contact us today for all your HVAC and plumbing needs.
Why Is Annual Furnace Maintenance Important?
Regular furnace maintenance offers several advantages, including:
- Improved Efficiency: A well-maintained furnace operates more efficiently, reducing energy consumption and lowering your utility bills.
- Extended Lifespan: Proper care and maintenance can extend the life of your furnace, delaying the need for costly replacements.
- Enhanced Safety: Regular maintenance helps identify and address safety issues, such as gas leaks or carbon monoxide leaks, ensuring the well-being of your family.
Optimal Performance: A well-maintained furnace provides consistent and even heating, keeping your home comfortable.
Should You Try DIY Furnace Maintenance?
DIY furnace maintenance may seem like a cost-effective option, but it often falls short in terms of ensuring the safety and efficiency of your heating system. Furnaces are complex appliances with various components, and attempting to service them without the necessary expertise can lead to several issues.
Without the proper training, homeowners can inadvertently cause damage to critical components, compromise the furnace’s efficiency, and even pose safety risks. Additionally, DIY maintenance may void manufacturer warranties, potentially leaving you responsible for costly repairs.
Professional furnace technicians possess the knowledge, experience, and specialized tools to perform thorough inspections and address problems effectively, ensuring your furnace operates at its best, is safe, and remains under warranty.
From your furnace’s heat exchanger to blower shaft bearings and your combustion chamber, there are a lot of parts involved with furnace maintenance and repairs. For that fact alone, furnace maintenance is a job best left to the professionals.
Investing in professional furnace maintenance is the most reliable way to keep your home warm and secure during the winter months.
Sheets/Central Air, Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing Maintenance Plans: Making your Furnace Tune Up Easy
To make furnace maintenance even easier, Sheets/Central Air, Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing/Central Air, Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing offers comprehensive maintenance plans. Our plans are designed to keep your HVAC system in optimal condition year-round. With a Sheets/Central Air, Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing maintenance plan, you’ll enjoy:
- Regular Check-Ups: Our experienced technicians will schedule regular visits to inspect and maintain your furnace, ensuring it performs at its best.
- Priority Service: In the event of an emergency, maintenance plan holders receive priority service, minimizing downtime and discomfort.
- Discounts on Repairs: Should your furnace require any repairs, you’ll benefit from exclusive discounts on parts and labor.
- Peace of Mind: With our maintenance plans, you can rest easy knowing your HVAC system is in the hands of professionals.
Learn more about our maintenance plans and how they can help you maintain optimal furnace health on our Maintenance Plans page.
Schedule Your Furnace Maintenance Today
As a homeowner in Fort Wayne, IN, it’s essential to prioritize furnace maintenance to ensure a warm and comfortable home during the colder months. While there are basic maintenance tasks you can perform, seeking professional furnace maintenance is vital to address potential issues, improve efficiency, and extend your furnace’s lifespan.
Besides our maintenance services we offer professional furnace repair, emergency furnace repair, and furnace installation services as well. Whatever you need, we’ve got you covered.
At Sheets/Central Air, Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing/Central Air, Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing, we have a team of experienced technicians ready to serve the Fort Wayne community, and our maintenance plans make it easy to keep your furnace in top shape. Additionally, if you’re
Trust us to provide reliable heating, cooling, plumbing and peace of mind. Contact us today for all your HVAC and plumbing needs.